The Farlow Herbarium houses nearly 1,400,000 specimens of lichenized and non-lichenized fungi, bryophytes, and algae. Follow their lichen links!
Browse images compiled by the authors of Lichens of North America.
Learn more about lichen biology!
Read lichen features gathered from around Harvard.
Lichens of the Arboretum
List compiled by Steve Schneider, Director of Operations, using a line-transect survey method on Peters Hill.
- Physcia millegrana (mealy rosette)
- Flavoparmelia caperata (greenshield)
- Candelaria concolor (candle flame)
- Punctelia rudecta
- Punctelia subrudecta
- Cladonia macileata (cup)
- Buellia stillingiana (Stilling’s disc)
Related Articles & Resources
- Weaver R.E. 1975. Lichens: Mysterious and Diverse. Arnolida 35(3): 133-159. (pdf)
- Raup, H.M. 1933. Lichens. Bulletin of Popular Information no 3, March 15, 1933. (pdf)