Obtain plant collection summaries.
As part of a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, all historic accession cards, from Abeliophyllum to Zizyphus, have been reviewed and incorporated into BG-BASE, resulting in almost 70,000 new and over 100,000 edited records. In addition, 1,700 map documents (ca. 1937–1988) representing 1,982 locations have been digitized and georeferenced. Search our legacy collections.
Download select datasets and narratives here. For the most authoritative information or for specific questions, please email the Living Collections department or email the Arnold Arboretum Horticultural Library.
This year, curatorial staff will field check Peters Hill collections (Region 4). Learn more about the Arboretum’s inventory methods and goals by referencing our Plant Inventory Operations Manual (pdf).
Living Collections Searchable Plant Inventory
The Arnold Arboretum’s permanent collections (excludes nursery holdings) can be searched by entering one or more words of a scientific or common plant name (omit authorities, cultivar indicators, or intraspecific epithet(s)):
- Entries can be either upper or lower case.
- Use * or ] as a wildcard character.
- For example, to search for all values starting with Magnolia, enter Magnolia* or Magnolia]
- Multiple search criteria should be separated by a comma.
- For example, to look up both Sequoiadendron giganteum (Lindl.) Buchholz and Rhododendron prunifolium (Small) Millais enter Sequoiadendron giganteum, Rhododendron prunifolium.
Grounds locations provided by the search above reference a grid and directional quadrants within them. For instance, a white ash (Fraxinus americana) specimen is located in grid number 20, quadrant NE. This location, 20-NE, can be matched to a 200-foot-by-300-foot area on the grounds using this grid map.
Locations for plants that fall within named garden locations are abbreviated as follows:
- BR = Bradley Rosaceous Collection
- DGB = Dana Greenhouse beds (no public access)
- EG = Explorers Garden
- LARZ = Larz Anderson Bonsai Collection
- LG = Leventritt Shrub & Vine Garden
- VISITOR-CNT = Hunnewell Visitor Center
- WH = Weld Hill
- WH-INTERIOR = Weld Hill Research Building interior (no public access)
Print location keys:
- Master Grid Map (pdf)
- Bradley Rosaceous Collection (pdf)
- Explorers Garden (pdf)
- Leventritt Shrub & Vine Garden and Larz Anderson Bonsai Collection (pdf)
Interactive Map Applications
Our interactive map applications provide desktop and mobile users an alternative method of interrogating our collections. Pinpoint the location of plants in our landscape; explore seasonal highlights; take self-guided tours; participate in tree mobs; link to plant information resources; share plants through social media.
The Arboretum periodically provides its collection data to institutions offering the following searches:
- Multisite Search, Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh – Obtain living collections and conservation holdings from 27 institutions running BG-BASE (collections management software).
- Plant Search, Botanic Gardens Conservation International (BGCI) – Locate rare and threatened plant species in cultivation around the world.
- Database of Asian Plants in Cultivation, Quarryhill Botanical Garden – Find Asian plant information from global botanical gardens and arboreta.