Search our Plant Collections
Records are housed in our collections managment software BG-BASE. Search functionality is hosted by the Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK.
Living Plant Inventory
The Arnold Arboretum’s permanent collections (excludes nursery holdings) collections can be searched by entering one or more words of a scientific or common name. Locate plants on the grounds using our interactive map applications. Discover more about our living collections, plant locations, inventory methods, and additional resources.
Legacy Plant Inventory
The Arnold Arboretum’s legacy (e.g., dead, removed) collections can be searched by entering one or more words of a scientific or common plant name. Prior to conducting a search, please consider the following:
- Most legacy collections records derive from hand-written entries on index cards and accession books, and may reflect less vigorous standards of documentation than practiced today.
- Nomenclature may not conform to currently accepted taxonomies, and not all names that appear in the search have been reviewed for accuracy.
Read more about ongoing legacy collection digitization projects.
Cultivated Herbarium Search
The Arnold Arboretum’s Cultivated Herbarium collections can be searched by entering one or more words of a scientific name, family name, or Arboretum accession number. Read more about our Cultivated Herbarium.
Search Seed Images
The Arnold Arboretum’s Seed Herbarium collections can be searched by entering the scientific name, family name, or Arboretum accession number. Read more about our Seed Herbarium.
For all of the above searches:
- Entries can be either upper or lower case.
- Omit authorities, cultivar indicators (eg. cv.), or intraspecific epithet(s).
- Use * or ] as a wildcard character.
- For example, to search for all values starting with Magnolia, enter Magnolia* or Magnolia].
- Multiple search criteria should be separated by a comma.
- For example, to look up both Sequoiadendron giganteum (Lindl.) Buchholz and Rhododendron prunifolium (Small) Millais enter Sequoiadendron giganteum, Rhododendron prunifolium
The Arboretum periodically provides its collection data to institutions offering the following searches:
- Multisite Search, Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh – Obtain living collections and conservation holdings from 27 institutions running BG-BASE (collections management software).
- Plant Search, Botanic Gardens Conservation International (BGCI) – Locate rare and threatened plant species in cultivation around the world.
- Database of Asian Plants in Cultivation, Quarryhill Botanical Garden – Find Asian plant information from global botanical gardens and arboreta.