Hours and Services
The Arnold Arboretum’s 281-acre landscape is open from sunrise to sunset every day of the year. There is no admission charge, but donations are appreciated.
Dogs must be leashed at all times, on all parts of the Arboretum property. No smoking is permitted on the property.
Hunnewell Building restrooms and access for business guests are open weekdays from 9:00am until closing and weekends from noon until closing. Closed holidays.
The Visitor Center and Art Exhibits in the Hunnewell Building are open:
- April through October, 10:00am–5:00pm, Closed Wednesdays
- November through March, noon–4:00pm, Closed Wednesdays
Parking is available outside the main gate, along the Arborway, and around the Arboretum’s perimeter. The grounds are closed to vehicular traffic except by permit for special-needs individuals.
Services available in the Visitor Center include:
- personal assistance to enrich your visit
- membership information
- maps and postcards
- changing exhibits objects from the Arboretum archives
- a rotating selection of library books for browsing
- seasonal art exhibitions
- activities for children
- lost and found: for inquires call 617.384.5209. Unclaimed items are donated to charity after two weeks.
The Arnold Arboretum Horticultural Library is open to the public Monday through Friday, 10:00am–3:45pm. The library is closed on weekends and holidays. more »
Groups and individuals using the Arboretum should be aware of the following rules:
- Picking or destroying plant material is strictly prohibited.
- Climbing trees is not allowed nor is walking in plant beds or mulched areas.
- Dogs must be leashed at all times. Owners are responsible for removal and disposal of their dogs’ wastes.
- Motor vehicles are not allowed without a special permit for individuals with mobility issues (contact the Visitor Center at 617.384.5209 for more information).
- Picnicking, fires, and barbecues are prohibited.
- Organized group sports and commercial film crews are prohibited.
- Bicycles are permitted only on paved paths.
- Smoking is prohibited on the property.
See policies related to weddings, memorial services, and other group activities.