Arnold Arboretum staff at Alfred Rehder’s 70th birthday party, 1933
Photograph by Hugh Miller Raup (1901-1995)
September 1, 1933
First row, left to right: Oakes Ames, Alfred Rehder, Mrs. Rehder, Ethelyn Tucker, Miss Rehder, Katherine Kelly, Eleanor Stuhlman, Miss Judge, Heman Howard, Caroline, Allen, Ethel Anderson, Louis Victor Schmidt.
Second row, left to right: Ernest Palmer, Harald Rehder, John George Jack, John Morse, Heriklea Yeranian, Clarence Kobuski, Edmund Wilberding, and Alfred Fordham.
The Archive Collection of the Arnold Arboretum Horticultural Library also holds Group Photographs of Arboretum Staff, that date back to 1916.
Alfred Rehder first came to the Arboretum in 1898 while on assignment for Moller’s Deutsche Gartner-Zeitungand where he held the position of Associate Editor. Intending only to stay in America for half a year, he was persuaded to join the Arboretum’s staff and he remained at the Arboretum until, and beyond, his retirement in 1940.He was appointed Curator of the Arboretum’s Herbarium in 1918, became editor of the Journal of the Arnold Arboretum in 1927, and Harvard appointed him Associate Professor of Dendrology in 1934.
Hugh Miller Raup (1901-1995) came to the Arnold Arboretum as a research assistant and associate in 1932, and during his career at Harvard he would eventually hold several positions within the university system including director of the Harvard Forest. During his tenure at the Arboretum, Raup was noted for his study of the influences that shaped the Arboretum landscape.
Copyright © 2017, President and Fellows of Harvard College, Arnold Arboretum Archives; all rights reserved.
Contact the Arnold Arboretum Horticultural Library of Harvard University, Jamaica Plain for permissions and fees.