Bussey Brook, fall, road construction, 1892
Alternate Title: Construction of the road near the intersection of Hemlock Hill Road and Bussey Brook with wagon and team and workers in the foreground
Photograph by Boston Parks Commission, Boston, MA, United States
Bussey Brook at Hemlock Hill Road, Arnold Arboretum, Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts, United States
October 14, 1892
A larger version of this image is available in HOLLIS, the online catalog of Harvard Library.
The initial construction of Arnold Arboretum roads and gates by City of Boston engineers took place from 1883 to 1894.
In 1882, the first director of the Arboretum Charles Sprague Sargent finalized an unprecedented partnership between The City of Boston and Harvard College whereas the Arboretum would become part of the “Emerald Necklace” park system designed by Frederick Law Olmsted. Under the terms of this agreement, the city agreed to lease Arboretum land to Harvard College for 1,000 years with the right to renew for another 1,000 at the rate of one dollar per year. Also laid out under the conditions of the lease was the Arboretum’s responsibility to manage the landscape and to acquire, grow, and curate a comprehensive collection of hardy woody plants for research and education, while the City would maintain the hardscape, roads, sidewalks, boundary fences and gates, and provide security.
This arrangement, of course, continues to this day, and The Arnold Arboretum will celebrate its sesquicentennial in 2022.
Also be sure to visit The Arboretum Through Time, which records the evolution of the Arnold Arboretum’s landscape and its living collections as well as its buildings, paths, and roadways since 1889.
Copyright © 2003, President and Fellows of Harvard College; all rights reserved.
Contact the Arnold Arboretum Horticultural Library of Harvard University, Jamaica Plain for permissions and fees.