Bussey Hill, spring, steps, forsythia, 1975
Alternate Title: Bussey Hill steps with forsythia shrubs in bloom on the left
Bussey Hill, Arnold Arboretum, Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts, United States
Bussey Hill formed the nucleus of The Arnold Arboretum in 1872. The 118-acre estate of Bejamin Bussey (1757-1842) was known as Woodland Hill at that time.
Bussey had created an endowment at Harvard for the establishment of an undergraduate school of agriculture and horticulture to be called the Bussey Institution for the “instruction in practical agriculture, in useful and ornamental gardening, in botany, and in such other branches of natural science as may tend to promote a knowledge of practical agriculture, and the various arts subservient thereto and connected therewith.”
The Visual Archives of the Arnold Arboretum also holds historical landscape images of Bussey Hill and its development over time.
Forsythia has a long history at Arnold Arboretum, starting with Ernest Henry Wilson’s 1918 introduction of F. ovata, from Korea, and the hybridization endeavors of Karl Sax during the 1930s and 1940s. You can read much more about these deciduous shrubs and their role within our Living Collections in Arnoldia.
Copyright © 2003, President and Fellows of Harvard College; all rights reserved.
Pearson, Lisa E. Arnold Arboretum.
Wilson, Mary Jane McClintock. Master of Woodland Hill : Benjamin Bussey of Boston (1757-1842).