Exploring the Arboretum for Educators
The Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University is a community resource for education. Arboretum for Educators Monthly Explorations are a professional development opportunity for elementary and middle school teachers to introduce the Arboretum landscape as an outdoor classroom. Participants learn from Children’s Education staff and volunteers about specific hands-on life science topics that may be used or adapted by teachers for their own classrooms and outdoor spaces. Meet and network with other like-minded educators, and engage in life science learning. View 2019-2020 schedule[pdf]
Teaching Upper Elementary Science Standards in Outdoor Spaces
A collaboration between the Museum of Science and the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University
Experience the science practices and standards specific to grades 3 – 5 with the Museum of Science and the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University. Be prepared to spend time outside, deepening your understanding of plant and animal adaptations, playground physics, and earth materials through engaging, hands-on activities you can take back to your students. Teachers will have ample opportunities to practice learning in the outdoors, share ideas with colleagues, and envision the potential of any outdoor space for meaningful and effective teaching and learning. This is a two-part session. 10 PDPs available.
Audience: 3-5 Grade Teachers
Dates: Saturdays, September 28 and October 5, 8:30 – 2:00pm. Teachers who attend both sessions are eligible for 10 hours PDP
- September 28 – Museum of Science
- October 5–Arnold Arboretum
September 28 – Meet at the Museum of Science
- Please bring your Science Notebook if you have one!
- We will validate parking on the day we host – please park in our garage and bring your parking ticket with you to the Educator Resource Center
- We will meet in the lobby of MOS – someone from our team will come down at 8:20 to greet you.
- You can eat in our Educator space – feel free to bring drinks and food. We also have an onsite cafeteria where you can purchase food & beverages.
- Please dress for outdoor exploration in any weather bring and an extra layer – the Educator Resource Center tends to be very chilly!
October 5 – Meet at the Arnold Arboretum
- Please bring your Science Notebook if you have one. We find that teachers also like to have a phone camera or iPad to document learning.
- We will meet inside the Hunnewell Building. Parking is free and safe along the Arborway.
- Bring your lunch and a drink. We will offer coffee, juice, and pastries in the morning. We do not have food for sale onsite.
- Please dress for outdoor exploration in any weather.