Greenhouses, summer, 1090 Centre Street, ca. 1895
Alternate Title: 1090 Centre Street nursery looking towards Bussey Hill
1090 Centre Street, Arnold Arboretum, Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts, United States
Jackson Dawson (1841-1916), our first superintendent and propagator, had previously built a “tiny unpretentious greenhouse” in the back of his home at 1090 Centre Street. As the volume of work and seed collections increased, so did the need for a new, accessible facility. When construction was complete, the new facility included three glasshouses, a cold storage house, the bonsai pavilion, a permanent shade house, nursery and many plant beds.
A few other facilities were employed for use on our grounds until in 1962,The Charles Stratton Dana Greenhouses opened to modernize our plant propagation resources, and to provide a centralized research facility for Arboretum staff.
In 2014, as part of its Campaign for Sustainability, the Arboretum launched a $250,000 fundraising campaign to upgrade lighting systems to longer-lasting LED fixtures and windows to double-glazed panes which improve temperature regulation for plant growth. The initiative was successful and The Dana Greenhouses attained the ideal early 21st-century standard for plant propagation and energy efficiency.
Read more about the history of the greenhouses in our quarterly journal, Arnoldia.
Copyright © 2003, President and Fellows of Harvard College; all rights reserved.