Greenhouses, summer, Dana Greenhouses, 1970
Alternate Title: Alfred Fordham (left) and George Pride (right) standing beside a bench in greenhouses
Photograph by Pamela Bruns
Dana Greenhouses, Arnold Arboretum, Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts, United States
The Charles Stratton Dana Greenhouses opened in 1962 at the northwest end of our grounds (along Centre Street), partly to modernize our plant propagation resources, also to provide a centralized research facility for Arboretum staff. Since 2011, the greenhouses at our Weld Hill Research Building have extended our propagation and laboratory facilities even further.
Jackson Dawson, our first superintendent and propagator, had previously built a small greenhouse in the back of his home at 1090 Centre Street. As the volume of work and seed collections increased, so did the need for a new, accessible facility. When construction was complete, the new facility included three glasshouses, a cold storage house, the bonsai pavilion, a permanent shade house, nursery and many plant beds.
Alfred Fordham came to the Arnold Arboretum as a student trainee in 1929. He stayed until his retirement in 1977, rising to the position of chief propagator. George Pride was an Associate Horticulturist at Arnold Arboretum from 1967 to 1978 who frequently wrote for our journal Arnoldia.
Copyright © 2003, President and Fellows of Harvard College; all rights reserved.