Caio Guilherme Pereira
Postdoctoral Associate, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
Visiting Fellow of the Arnold Arboretum
1300 Centre Street
Boston, MA 02131
PhD Plant Sciences (2018), The University of Western Australia (UWA)
MSc Ecology (2013), Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP)
BSc Biology (2010), Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP)
I’m a plant biologist with strong interests in the fields of ecology and evolution. My main objective is to understand the functioning of plants, especially those that occur in severely nutrient-impoverished environments. I’m aiming to discover the consequences of their functioning for vegetation patterns, composition and diversity. My research is mostly experimental, but I also use observational and modelling approaches to achieve my goals. Since my move to the Des Marais Lab. at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, my primary research goal is to understand the molecular mechanisms of plant-environment interaction.
- Guilherme Pereira C, Des Marais DL. (2019) The genetic basis of plant functional traits and the evolution of plant-environment interactions. International Journal of Plant Sciences (available online before print; doi.org/10.1086/706190).
- Shi Q, Pang J, Yong JWH, Bai C, Guilherme Pereira C, Song Q, et al. (2019) Phosphorus-fertilisation has differential effects on leaf growth and photosynthetic capacity of Arachis hypogaea L. Plant and Soil (available online before print; doi.org/10.1007/s11104-019-04041-w).
- Hayes PE, Clode PL, Guilherme Pereira C, Lambers H. 2019. Calcium modulates leaf cell-specific phosphorus allocation in Proteaceae from south-western Australia. Journal of Experimental Botany.
- Guilherme Pereira C, Hayes PE, O’Sullivan OS, Weerasinghe LK, Clode PL, Atkin OK, Lambers H. 2019. Trait convergence in photosynthetic nutrient-use efficiency along a 2-million year dune chronosequence in a global biodiversity hotspot. Journal of Ecology.
- Hayes PE, Guilherme Pereira C, Clode PL, Lambers H. 2019. Calcium‐enhanced phosphorus toxicity in calcifuge and soil‐indifferent Proteaceae along the Jurien Bay chronosequence. New Phytologist 221 (2), 764-777.
- Guilherme Pereira C, Clode PL, Oliveira RS, Lambers H. 2018. Eudicots from severely phosphorus-impoverished environments preferentially allocate phosphorus to their mesophyll. New Phytologist 218 (3), 959-973.
- Oliveira RS, Abrahão A, Guilherme Pereira C, Teodoro GS, Monteiro Junior MB, Alcântara S, Lambers H. 2016. Ecophysiology of Campos Rupestres Plants. In: Geraldo Wilson Fernandes (Org.). Ecology and Conservation of Mountaintop Grasslands in Brazil. Springer International Publishing, 227-272.
- Scatigna AV, Souza VC, Guilherme Pereira C, Sartori MA, Simões AO. 2015. Philcoxia rhizomatosa (Gratioleae, Plantaginaceae): a new carnivorous species from Minas Gerais, Brazil. Phytotaxa 226, 275-280.
- Guilherme Pereira C, Almenara D, Winter CE, Fritsch PW, Lambers H, Oliveira RS. 2012. Underground leaves of Philcoxia trap and digest nematodes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science 109 (4), 1154-1158.
- Guilherme Pereira C, Oliveira RS. 2010. Philcoxia: A New Genus of Carnivorous Plants. In: Stewart McPherson (Org.). Carnivorous Plants and Their Habitats. Ed. Redfern Natural History, 1088-1103.