Ponds, summer, Dawson Pond, 1957
Alternate Title: Dawson Pond nearly dry after a summer drought
Dawson Pond, Arnold Arboretum, Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts, United States
A larger version of this image is available in HOLLIS Images.
Dawson Pond, located at the intersection of Meadow and Bussey Hill Roads, is named after Jackson Thornton Dawson (1841-1916), the first Plant Propagator of the Arnold Arboretum. Dawson was an active member of the Massachusetts Horticultural Society (MHS) and was honored several times by that organization. He was also a noted rosarian and bred several important varieties.
According to Ida Hay in her book Science in the Pleasure Ground, Dawson Pond was constructed between 1897 and 1891 along with adjacent Rehder Pond (named after Arboretum plant researcher Alfred Rehder), following the Sargent-Olmsted design of the grounds. The City of Boston had planned to build a lake in this area, but conceded to Sargent’s wish to preserve as many tree planting areas as possible.
Copyright © 2003, President and Fellows of Harvard College; all rights reserved.
Contact the Arnold Arboretum Horticultural Library of Harvard University, Jamaica Plain for permissions and fees.