Coronavirus (COVID-19) Emergency Response
To everyone in the extended community of the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University, we want to assure you we are monitoring the coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) emergency in close coordination with officials at Harvard University and the City of Boston. Our first priority is to protect the health and safety of all who enter our gates, while continuing to cultivate and share our world-class collections and landscape as the growing season begins. We appreciate your patience, assistance, and cooperation as we navigate the challenges of this difficult time together. Plants and nature are transformative, and enjoying their benefits carries the responsibility of respecting the health and safety of all.
Enjoy nature while protecting yourself and our community
The Arboretum landscape remains open daily from dawn to dusk. While in the Arboretum landscape, pedestrians, runners, and cyclists need to wear a mask or other facial covering. Help support the Commonwealth’s and City’s efforts to reduce overcrowding and encourage social distancing.
- Beginning Friday, April 10, the City of Boston and Commonwealth of Massachusetts will be reducing public parking along the perimeter of the Arnold Arboretum to marked, handicap parking only.
- Please consider avoiding the following hours of peak visitation, 4pm-7pm on weekdays and 2pm-7pm on weekends. Before your visit, you may monitor current visitation rates by checking the “Popular Times” section of the Arboretum’s Google Maps page. Scroll down to see a graph with live data compared to typical visitation rates.
- We strongly recommend that all Arboretum visitors wear a mask or cloth face covering in addition to maintaining at least six to ten feet of distance from others at all times. This is in accordance with guidance from the Center for Disease Control. Help keep yourself and others safe!
- We are advising against the use of Arboretum benches.
- Please carry out any trash you bring in or generate. Thank you for your assistance in helping to keep the Arboretum clean during this time of reduced staffing.
- The Hunnewell Building and Visitor Center at 125 Arborway in Boston is closed until further notice in compliance with public health guidelines set by Harvard University.
- To ensure the safety of visitors, all public restroom facilities have been closed.
- All in-person public programs have been canceled. See our calendar at my.arboretum.harvard.edu to check on the status of programs offered in the future. We look forward to resuming our programs at the appropriate time. See our homepage for ways to engage from home.
The Harvard University COVID-19 website includes recommended guidelines for protecting yourself and others from COVID-19 and other viral illnesses. If you require assistance while on the grounds, please call the Arnold Arboretum Ambassadors (857.268.3185).