Visitor services include
- personal assistance to enrich your visit
- membership information
- maps and postcards
- changing displays from the Arboretum Library archives
- a rotating selection of library books for browsing
- seasonal art exhibitions
- activities for children
- lost and found: for inquires call 617.384.5209. Unclaimed items are donated to charity after two weeks.
Hours, Services & Policies
The Arnold Arboretum’s 281-acre landscape is open from sunrise to sunset every day of the year. There is no admission charge, but donations are appreciated.
The Hunnewell Building and Visitor Center at 125 Arborway in Boston is closed until further notice in compliance with public health guidelines set by Harvard University.
Please consider avoiding the following hours of peak visitation, 4pm-7pm on weekdays and 2pm-7pm on weekends.
All in-person public programs through the end of May have been canceled. See our calendar at my.arboretum.harvard.edu to check on the status of programs offered in May and beyond. We look forward to resuming our programs at the appropriate time. See our homepage for ways to engage from home.
Groups and individuals using the Arboretum should be aware of the following rules:
- Picking or destroying plant material is strictly prohibited.
- Climbing trees is not allowed nor is walking in plant beds or mulched areas.
- Dogs must be leashed at all times. Owners are responsible for removal and disposal of their dogs’ wastes.
- Motor vehicles are not allowed without a special permit for individuals with mobility issues (contact the Visitor Center at 617.384.5209 for more information).
- Picnicking, fires, and barbecues are prohibited.
- Organized group sports and commercial film crews are prohibited.
- Bicycles are permitted only on paved paths. A bike rack is available just inside the Arborway Gate.
- Smoking is prohibited on the property.
See policies related to weddings, memorial services, and other group activities.
Beginning Friday, April 10, the City of Boston and Commonwealth of Massachusetts will be reducing public parking along the perimeter of the Arnold Arboretum to marked, handicap parking only.
The grounds are closed to vehicular traffic except by permit for special-needs individuals. All paved roads of the Arnold Arboretum are accessible to strollers and wheelchairs. The two highest elevations within the Arboretum are Bussey Hill (198′) and Peters Hill (240′). A wheelchair (first-come, first-served) is available for loan; bring your driver’s license to the Hunnewell Visitor Center during regular hours.