Visitor services include
- personal assistance to enrich your visit
- membership information
- maps and postcards
- changing displays from the Arboretum Library archives
- a rotating selection of library books for browsing
- seasonal art exhibitions
- activities for children
- lost and found: for inquires call 617.384.5209. Unclaimed items are donated to charity after two weeks.
Hours, Services & Policies
The Arnold Arboretum’s 281-acre landscape is open from sunrise to sunset every day of the year. There is no admission charge, but donations are appreciated.
As part of Harvard University’s coronavirus (COVID-19) response, the Hunnewell Building and Visitor Center at 125 Arborway are closed to the public until further notice. The Arboretum landscape remains open to the public. More information on health and safety guidelines at https://www.harvard.edu/coronavirus.
Hunnewell Building restrooms and access for business guests are open weekdays from 9:00am until 5:00pm, and weekends 10:00am-5:00pm. Closed holidays. The Hunnewell Building Visitor Center is wheelchair-accessible, including the restrooms on the ground floor.
The Visitor Center and art exhibits in the Hunnewell Building are open and free to the public:
- 10:00am–5:00pm, Closed Wednesdays
Groups and individuals using the Arboretum should be aware of the following rules:
- Picking or destroying plant material is strictly prohibited.
- Climbing trees is not allowed nor is walking in plant beds or mulched areas.
- Dogs must be leashed at all times. Owners are responsible for removal and disposal of their dogs’ wastes.
- Motor vehicles are not allowed without a special permit for individuals with mobility issues (contact the Visitor Center at 617.384.5209 for more information).
- Picnicking, fires, and barbecues are prohibited.
- Organized group sports and commercial film crews are prohibited.
- Bicycles are permitted only on paved paths. A bike rack is available just inside the Arborway Gate.
- Smoking is prohibited on the property.
See policies related to weddings, memorial services, and other group activities.
Parking is available outside the main entrance, along the Arborway, and around the Arboretum’s perimeter. The grounds are closed to vehicular traffic except by permit for special-needs individuals. All paved roads of the Arnold Arboretum are accessible to strollers and wheelchairs. The two highest elevations within the Arboretum are Bussey Hill (198′) and Peters Hill (240′). A wheelchair (first-come, first-served) is available for loan; bring your driver’s license to the Hunnewell Visitor Center during regular hours.
A limited number of driving permits are available from the Hunnewell Visitor Center for special needs individuals only. Permits are first-come, first-served, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday between 10:30am and 3:00pm, except holidays. During busy times a one-hour time limit may be imposed. Vehicle height is a maximum of 11′ high, with a maximum capacity of 35. A driver’s license is required in exchange for the permit. Full driving restrictions (speed limit, permissible roads) are explained when the driving pass is loaned. The right to a driving permit may be revoked if the vehicle is observed violating these regulations.